Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Peder’s quilt - Harry Potter meets Flower Market

I've been reading Jedi Craft Girl's blog for a couple of years now, amazed by the quilts that she makes. But when I first saw the pattern Flower Market on her blog, I knew that I had to make it - some day, and perhaps not necessarily with flowers.

When Aurora was given a quilt by her grandmother, Peder made a wish that he too could get a quilt some day - and when I asked him what kind of quilt he'd like (going through quite a list of options, like Angry Birds, LEGO, Minecraft, Harry Potter, and so on) he chose Harry. And Harry it had to be!

While in Birmingham, attending The Festival of Quilts, I made it a bit of a challenge to find some fabric with Harry Potter print or colours matching the Gryffindor house (which is Harry's house, and thus Peder's favourite). Well, I managed to find some fat quarters, and some coordinating fabric - and by chance (I guess it was meant to be) when we returned from Birmingham, Fat Quarter Shop actually had a sale on some yardage! And so the cutting and sewing began..

It really didn't take that long, neither cutting or sewing, so after a couple of evenings (and one night, the kinds and hubby were away) the top was completed!

My mom was very kind and quilted it on her quilting machine - and then it was just a matter of adding the binding before wrapping it up and saving it for Christmas!



It's a big quilt - originally measured to 56x70", but I added a 6" edge on the top and bottom, resulting in a quilt measuring 56x82" - nicely covering his bed, and a great wrapping up-size for a growing boy!



There was a tiny snowfall before Christmas, tempting me to bring it outside for a quick photo shoot.



A little bit of snow has never damaged a quilt!



And a tiny bit of sunset in the background.



The backing came from Lappemakeriet, a quilt store at Bærums Verk, which Aurora and I visited while the boys attended a chess tournament.

I'm toying with the idea of making another one of these - perhaps using Halloween fabric - or shrinking it a bit, to make a baby quilt for a colleague of mine.. I have a bundle of fat quarters (or something like that) in light flowery colours that might fit perfectly.

No comments: